Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Colors 101: Primarires



I admit it. I'm bored today. It doesn't happen often and when it does, I tend to start on a new project. I have been thinking about doing some color theory blogs for quite some time now, and today seems like the day.

I know many of you reading this are artists of some sort or another and I suspect that more than a few of you took color theory in college. I also know that there have been periods in our educational history when someone could graduate with an art degree never having seen a color wheel. Hard to believe, I agree, but the typist taught color theory for a couple of decades in college, and many of  her students had bachelors and masters in art, coming to class just to get familiar with color theory.

So -- just in case you missed that up close and personal experience with the color wheel, here is a semi crash course. There are style notes of course and even a freebie involved, so if you really MUST, just skip to the bottom of the post *wink*.




This is a traditional artist's color wheel. Well, maybe not so traditional as I made the color dabs flower shapes, but you get the idea. Colors in this long time favorite include red, red-orange, orange, yellow-orange, yellow, yellow-green, green, blue-green, blue, blue-violet, violet, red-violet and back to red. Now it doesn't matter if my exact colors match your concept of the color. In the first place our computers shift colors; in the second, we all see colors differently. My "red" is not your "red" and it doesn't matter all that much. We all have an idea what RED is and that's the important part.

There are -- in art and design -- tried and true color combos that most often work. "Work" is a termed used often in art and art classes. It either works or it doesn't. Again, this is subjective, so don't worry about it too much. Let's call these palettes ACCEPTED color schemes. I've never been a big believer in art by the rules, but sometimes knowing what a large majority of folks believe "works" helps us find our own way.



So first up are the TRIAD color schemes. They form an  equilateral triangle on the color wheel. Today's example is the triad of  PRIMARIES -- the colors red, yellow and blue. If you ever finger painted as a child you soon found that you could make all the colors of the rainbow using just red, yellow and blue pigments. Adding white makes red into pink; adding black make it into maroon, but the most saturated (full bodied, bright) colors are all combinations of these three pigment colors.

Red, yellow and blue color schemes can include all bright colors (the natural hues shown in the color wheel) or they can use tints, tones and shades of the colors. Navy blue is still blue for example.

I started off my outfit with yellow boots from DUH!, added some great checked corduroy jeans from Concrete Flowers and a lovely top I don't wear often enough from Vextra Messing. The look didn't really come together until I added the Rock Out hair from Alli&Ali and then I was on a roll. But I needed more yellow for balance and like many of you I suspect, I had very little yellow to choose from. In the end I made a new set of primary color bangles and they are FREE at my shop. Just in case you need something to start off your own triad outfit.

Style Notes:

Hair: Alli&Ali Designs "Rock Out" Hair Auburn
Skin: []::Tuli::[] Bella (sunkissed/br) Raven (PU1) for more of a tough girl look than I usually do
Clothing: ::GB::Jaket-tied-around-Waist(RED) , *Vextra Messing* Retro Crossback Onepiece (actually a swimsuit),  CONCRETE FLOWERS - CHECKER JEANS
Shoes: ::Duh!:: Suede Ankle Boot Lemon
Accessories: PhotoGraphique Primaries Bracelet (free in a primary colored box in the jewelry section)


The great poses above are from the new Diesel Works - Shake Set which is filled with lots of fun, I'm not taking any of your guff, stands and one kneel. Filled with attitude, they are a great addition to any collection. Our pose makers are getting better and better each day. Woot for that. These were some of my favorites and there were several I couldn't show you because of my prim jacket. Actually I was very happy to find so many that worked with it!  So if looking for more ways to strut your stuff, check out these new poses. There are twelve in the collection and you can buy them separately if you wish.

I particularly like this set as it came with the poses in a stand as well as static. This was a review copy and I can't tell from the vendor in the shop if the pose stand comes with the retail version. I would definitely give that idea two thumbs up. I have an IM into the designer and I'll update this when I find out. OR, maybe some of you guys know the answer. That works too. There are some nice looking new poses for guys out also.


Have fun. Go forth and be COLORFUL!

Cheers.

Comments

Popular Posts